To end the Rainbow Series, for now, I have been working on this recipe to make these great Rainbow Pretzel Rolls with a Rainbow hidden inside.
I think they turned out great and I am really happy with the results.
If you decide to make this recipe send me some photos on Facebook, Twitter or whatever social media you like and as always comment down below.
Hidden Rainbow Pretzel Rolls – Rainbow Series 05
How to make Hidden Rainbow Pretzel Rolls
Prep Time: 30-40 Minutes
Prove Time: At least an hour
Boil Time: 30 seconds each side
Oven Temperature: 180C / 350F
Cook time: about 25-30 minutes
- 900g / 2lb of Strong Bread Flour
- 625ml / 2.5 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons of Salt
- 4 teaspoons of Dried Yeast
- 6 different Food Colour Gels
To boil the Bagels
- Enough Water to have at least 2 inches / 5 cm in the base of a pan
- 2 teaspoons of Salt
- 2 tablespoons of Bi-carb of Soda
To Glaze the Bagels
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 tablespoon of Water
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- Place the flour into a bowl. Add the yeast on one side of the bowl and the salt on the other side.
Add nearly all the water but save some back to adjust the texture once everything has been mixed together.
I use a stand mixer with a dough attachment but you could mix these by hand.
Mix together for a few minutes, you want a dough that is not sticky to the touch but not too dry. Remove from the bowl.
- Weigh the dough and divide equally into 3 pieces. You will need 1/3rd and 2/3rd’s of dough. Place the smaller piece of dough into a bowl, cover and set aside to prove.
Now divide the bigger piece of dough into 6 equal pieces. Cover any dough that you are not using with a damp cloth.
Take one piece of dough and add a few drops of food colour gel.
I then use the stand mixer to start to mix the colour into the dough.
After a minute or so remove the dough from the stand mixer and start to knead by hand. This makes sure that you get an even colour throughout the dough. Place into a bowl and cover with cling film.
Set aside in a warm place to prove. These should double in size.
- Repeat steps 10 to 14 with all the colours of the rainbow.
- Once all the coloured dough has risen it is time to start assembling the pretzels.
Take the uncoloured piece of dough and divide into 10 pieces. Roll into small balls,Cover with a damp cloth and set aside.
Now take the red dough, knock out the air and roll out using a rolling pin to form a rectangle. Place on to a mat or something that makes it easy to move the dough around on. Cover with a damp cloth and roll out the orange dough to the same size. Spray or dampen the red dough with a little water and place the orange dough on top. Cover once again with the damp cloth.
- Repeat steps 17 to 21 until all the dough has been shaped and stacked.
Now roll up the dough, starting from the long edge, into a long sausage.
Cut the dough into 10 equal pieces.
Take one of the uncoloured dough balls and flatten into a thin round disc using a rolling pin. Place one piece of the rainbow dough into the centre of the disc with the flat side facing up. Now carefully enclose the rainbow dough with the plain dough pinching the dough closed on the top.
Turn the pretzel over so the join is on the bottom and place onto a baking tray.
- Repeat steps 29-32 until all the pretzels are complete.
Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F.
Place a pan with at least 2 inches / 5cm of water in onto the stove. Add the salt and bi carb to the water and bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer.
Once all the pretzels are ready gently drop 2 0r 3 into the simmering water and after 30 seconds turn them over.
Cook the other side for 30 seconds and then using a slotted spoon remove from the water and place onto a cooling rack. Once all of the pretzels have been ‘boiled’, transfer to a baking tray.
- Mix together the egg yolk and water. Use a brush to coat the pretzels with the eggy mixture. Sprinkle with salt and then place in the oven.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pretzels are a nice golden colour.
Once baked remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
Your Pretzels are now ready to be cut opened and enjoyed.