Here I will show you how to shape the Perfect Pizza Dough because as I am here in Sicily, Italy so I just had to make Pizza.
I have been getting loads of tips from the many great pizza makers here….
PERFECT PIZZA DOUGH – And How to Shape a Pizza
How to make Perfect Pizza Dough
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Proving Time: 1-1.5 Hours
Makes 2 Pizza Bases
For 2 Pizza Bases
- 300g / 10.5oz of Bread Flour (Approx. 2 cups)
- 1.5 teaspoons of Dried Instant Yeast
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Salt
- 160ml / 2/3 of a cup of Warm Water
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
Some coarse Flour to shape your dough
It can take an hour or so for the dough to double in size
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- Place the flour onto the countertop (or you can use a bowl) and make a well in the centre. Add the dried yeast into the well and place the salt on the flour to the side, away from the yeast.
Pour the warm water into the well and slowly start to mix together. Once the flour has become a shaggy dough add the olive oil and continue to mix until all the flour has been mixed into a dough.
- Now you will knead the dough for around 10 minutes until it is silky and smooth and no longer grainy. Divide the dough into two equal pieces.
Place the smooth dough into a bowl and lightly coat with oil. Cover with a damp tea towel and place somewhere warm to allow the dough to double in size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size it is time to shape your pizzas. Place your grainier flour onto the countertop and make it into quite a mound.
Gently lift one of your dough balls on top of your mound of flour and using your fingertips, gently push the air out of the dough leaving the centre of the dough untouched and a thicker edge, so you form a little sombrero shape.
Turn the dough over and cup one hand over the centre of the ‘sombrero’ and using the side of the other hand push and stretch the dough out. Turn the dough using your cupped hand and do remember to keep a slightly thicker outside edge.
I recommend you watch the video from Here to see how I shape the Bases.
- Once you have the desired size for your pizza base you’re ready to place it onto a baking tray and chose your toppings.
If you join me next week I will be making a fantastic Aussie pizza using this Pizza Dough.