With a little bit of extra work you can change a plain chicken pie into something fun for Halloween. A Halloween Chicken Pie . is it an Octopus or a spider you decide? 🕷 🎃 💕
How to make Halloween Chicken Pie
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Oven Temperature: 180C / 350F
- 1 or 2 Chicken Breasts or Thighs
- 2 tablespoons of All Purpose / Plain Flour
- Salt and Pepper to Season
- 2 tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- 2 sticks of Celery
- 4 or 5 Button Mushrooms
- 1 medium Carrot
- A knob of Butter
- 1 cup of Chicken Stock
- 1/2 a cup of Thick Cream
- A Bunch of Fresh Coriander or any fresh herbs
- Store Bought Puff Pastry
- Egg to Glaze the Pastry
- Black Olives for the eyes
For products we use in this video Visit Here
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- Cut the chicken into cubes and add to the flour which has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Coat the chicken completely in the flour. In a small skillet add the oil and then fry the chicken to slightly brown it.
Chop the celery, and carrots and slice the mushrooms. When the chicken has some colour add the butter and then the sliced mushrooms, stir through and then add the carrots and celery.
Pour in the stock, mix through and bring up to a simmer and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and pour in the cream and add the coriander, stir through and then spoon into a ramekin. Don’t overfill, leave enough room so your octopus legs can come up and over the sides. Place the ramekins onto an oven proof plate so that once the pies are cooked you can serve them straight to the table without having to move them onto another plate and spoil their ‘legs’. Leave to one side whilst you prepare the pastry.
- Take your pastry and cut some tentacles wide to narrow. Place each tentacle over the edge of the ramekin. Make eight legs for each pie. Then using a pastry cutter cut the octopus ‘body’ and lay that over the top of the filling and tops of the ‘legs’. Next take an olive and slice it up to make the ‘eyes’. Place the ‘eyes’ on the ‘body’
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F place the pies in to bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve