Nothing says Christmas more to me than mince pies with a savoury short crust pastry.
How to make Homemade Christmas Mince Pies
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Oven Temperature: 175C / 350F
- 450g / 1lb of All Purpose Flour
- 115g / 4oz of Butter
- 115g /4 oz of Lard
- 6-8 tablespoons of Cold Water
- 12 -24 teaspoons of Mincemeat
- 1 egg Yolk and a splash of Water
- Icing / Powdered Sugar to dust the Mince Pies
For products we use in this video visit Here
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- In a large bowl add the flour and then the butter and lard. Using your fingertips rub the fats into the flour until you have a fine breadcrumb texture. Add half the water and use a flat blade or knife to cut through the flour until the mixture starts to ball together. Add more water as necessary. Gently press into a large ball and then chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Once the pastry has chilled remove from the fridge and roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry until it is about a 1/4 inch thick. Use a 3.5 inch and a 3 inch cutters and cut out 12 of each size. Place the larger sized circle into the base of your patty pan, fill with 1-2 teaspoons of mincemeat and then use some of the egg yolk and water mix to brush around the edge of the smaller circle before ‘glueing’ on top of the mince pie. Press gently around the edges to seal the mincemeat inside the pie. Now make the rest of the mince pies in the same way.
Brush some egg wash over the top of the pies and use a sharp knife to make two little slits on the top to allow the pressure to release.
- Place into a preheated oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until the pies are nice and golden brown. Remove from the oven when cooked and allow to slightly cool before removing from the baking pan and placing onto a cooling rack. Dust some powdered sugar over the tops to give a lovely ‘snowy’ finish to your pies and enjoy 😋