PaneScone is the flavour fusion of an Italian Panettone with an English Scone.
Inspired by the fantastic Panettone of Italy, I have come up with my Homage to the Queen of Italian Cakes, with this fusion of Italian English Cuisine.
Take the light crumbly melt in your mouth English Scone and the Sweet Festive flavours of the Italian Panettone and I give to Steve’s Kitchen PaneScone…
Panettone’s are a delicious flavoursome Bread but they take quite a while to make, so I wanted something with all those great flavours that could be made quickly. And the Panescone was born.
Tell me what you think in the comments below.😊
Enjoy and please take a moment to like and share.
PANESCONE – An Italian Panettone Inspired Scone
How to make Panescones
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Oven Temperature: 200C / 400F
- 450g / 1lb of All Purpose Flour
- 150g / 5oz of Butter
- 3/4 a teaspoon of Salt
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 120g / 4oz of Sugar
- 120g / 4oz of Candied Peel
- 120g / 4oz of Raisins
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 250ml / 1cup of Milk
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- For a bit of fun I made paper collars similar to what are used when baking a Panettone. If you want to do the same check out the video to see how I made them. They are completely optional but they did encourage the Panescone to rise up and become taller.
- Place the Flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl. Add the butter and using your fingertips rub into the flour. You want to have a fine breadcrumb texture. Stir in the sugar, candied peel and raisins. Add the zest of the lemon and orange and mix to combine. Gradually add the milk and mix together until you have a soft dough like consistency. Don’t over mix just enough so that all the ingredients are combined.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and use your hands to flatten and smooth the dough until it is about 2 inch / 5 cm thick. With a cookie cutter (or a glass like I did 😜 ) cut out the Panescone into rounds. Place into the paper collars if you are using them and pop onto a baking sheet.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven when cooked and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Dust with Icing sugar and your Panescone are ready to be enjoyed.