This No Knead Raisin Bread is sure to impress. Easy to make and no kneading involved.
Delicious sweet Raisins surrounded by Tangy Sourdough Bread, what more could you want?
Sliced and served with butter – so Simple.
HOW TO MAKE NO KNEAD RAISIN BREAD – Introduction to Bread Making
How to make No Knead Raisin Bread
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Proving Time: 12 Hours + 2 Hours
Baking Time: 40 Minutes
Oven Temperature: 200C / 400F
- 400g / 14oz of Strong Bread Flour
- 100g / 3.5oz of Sourdough Starter
- 240g / 8.5oz of Pure Water
- 1.25 teaspoons of Salt
- 150g / 5.3oz of Raisins or small Dried Fruit
- 2 Teaspoons of Mixed Spices
- 1/4 of a cup of Molasses / Treacle or Soft Brown Sugar
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- Place the flour into a bowl, add the Sourdough Starter and the water. Next add the salt, spices, fruit and treacle and using a fork begin to mix together. When you have a shaggy dough use your hands to gather the rest of the flour and dough into a wet dough.
Cover with plastic wrap and leave somewhere not too cold, overnight (or at least 12 hours).
- The next day gently remove your proved dough on to a floured surface. Using your fingertips to get under the dough, fold the dough over itself by two thirds and then take the opposite side and fold that on top of your first fold. Give the dough a quarter turn and repeat the two folds again. (If you watch the video from around the 2:00 minute mark it may be easier to understand).
Turn the dough over and next you need to create some tension on the surface of the dough. To do this use cupped hands at the far side of the dough and gently pull it towards you. This will cause friction from the countertop and the dough thus creating a tension, which in turn gives a smooth surface to your baked loaf.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto your baking dish and place your prepare dough on top of the flour, then cover with a dish that will allow the dough to rise. Place the rising dough somewhere not to cold and allow the bread to rise until double in size. This can take between 2-3 hours.
- Once the dough has risen make a cut in the top and place in an oven that has been preheated to 230C / 450F, turn the temperature down to 200C / 400F and bake for 30 minutes with the bread covered. Remove the cover and bake for a further 10 minutes until nicely rich and nicely browned.
Remove from the oven and place on to a cooling rack to cool.
- Allow to cool before slicing as this will stop the bread from drying out once sliced.