Sourdough Starter Ready? This recipe uses the Sourdough Starter that I made on my a channel to make a simple and delicious Sourdough Baguette
If you are following the series from the beginning chances are some of you might be patiently waiting to make use of that Bubbling Starter.
This Super easy Sourdough Baguette is going to have you knowing it was worth the Patience, it’s Tangy, Fresh, Crusty bite will have you thanking the day you started. Don’t forget this Recipe is yours to Meddle with, Make it your own, Baguettes are just Loaves with one direction.. ;o)
How to make a Sourdough Starter
Introduction to Bread Playlist
HOW TO MAKE SOURDOUGH BAGUETTES – Introduction to Bread Making
How to make Sourdough Baguettes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Proving Time: 8-12 Hours + 1-1.5 Hours
Oven Temperature: 200C / 400F
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 or 3 Baguettes
- 400g / 14.1oz of Bread Flour (Approx. 3.2 cups)
- 100g / 3.5oz / 1/2 cup of Sourdough Starter
- 1.25 teaspoon of Salt
- 240ml / 8.4 fl oz of Un chlorinated Water
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- Weigh the flour into a bowl and add the salt. Pour in the water and add the sourdough starter. Mix together with a fork and then use you hand just to incorporate any loose flour. You will now have a slightly wet shaggy dough. Cover with plastic warp and leave in a warm place for 8-12 hours to allow the dough to at least double in size.
- Once the dough has risen well remove from the bowl onto a well floured surface. Divide the dough into 2 or 3 pieces. Take each piece and on a very lightly floured surface, gently flatten and then fold on side into the centre forming some tension on the dough. Fold over 2 more times. Set to one side to rest for 2-5 minutes. Repeat with the other pieces or dough. Then you need to gently start to roll the dough out to form the traditional baguette shape. Place onto a lined baking tray or onto a baguette tray. (I used something to hold the baking paper in the shape of a baguette tray but this isn’t essential). Cover with plastic and leave to rise for another 1-1.5 hours.
- Turn on your oven to its highest temperature and place a tray of water in the bottom to heat up.
Dust the tops of the baguettes with flour and make cuts in the top of the dough with a sharp knife. Once the oven has come up to temperature turn it down to 200C / 400F and place the baguettes in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until you have a deep golden crust.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool before slicing and enjoying.