I love the Cannoli here in Sicily. You should try some as they are so delicious.
I hope you enjoy this video and maybe it will inspire you to make cannoli at home.
SICILIAN CANNOLI RECIPE – How to Make Cannoli
How to make Sicilian Cannoli
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Oil Temperature: 175C / 350F
Fry Time: 3 – 4 minutes
Makes about 12 Cannoli Shells
For the Shells
- 125g / 1 cup of All purpose / Plain flour
- 14g / 1 tablespoon of Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar
- 60ml / 1/4 cup of Marsala Wine
- Egg White to seal the pastry
For the Filling
- 500g / 1lb (2 cups) of Ricotta Cheese
- 30g / 1/4 of a cup of Powdered Sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Chocolate Chips or Pistachios to decorate
Vegetable oil for frying
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- Into a bowl place the flour, salt and sugar. Add the butter and rub into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.Next pour in the Marsala wine and use a fork to form into a stiff dough.
Tip the dough out onto the work surface and knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover with some plastic wrap and leave to rest for about 20-30 minutes.
- Whilst the dough rests you can prepare your cannoli filling. Into a bowl place the strained ricotta. Add the sugar and mix together to form a smooth cream. Grate the lemon zest into the cream and stir through.
Place the cream into a piping bag and pop into the fridge to chill.
- Once the dough has rested, on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out until it is quite thin, the thinner your dough the thinner and crispier your shells will be.
Use a pastry cutter that is as wide as your cannoli tubes and cut out as many circles as you can. You can then press any remaining dough together and re roll it to form more circles.
The circles of dough have to be elongated slightly to form oval shapes so just use your rolling pin to make the circles more oval.
Then wrap the dough around a tube and seal the edges using the egg white. You can cover all of the tubes that you have available so they are ready to be fried.
- Heat the oil in a large pan until it reaches 175C / 350F. Gently drop 2 or 3 cannoli into the oil and cook them for 3-4 minutes until they are golden brown. Once cooked remove from the oil and allow to drain on kitchen paper. When the shells have cooled enough you can remove the tube.
The shells can be stored, unfilled in a sealed container for many weeks.
- When you are ready to serve the cannoli fill each one with the sweetened cream. I dipped each end of my cannoli in chocolate chips or pistachios.
Cannoli can be filled with a variety of different flavoured cream, have fun and experiment.