Thumbprint Cookies are so simple to make and delicious to eat and are a great treat for Christmas
I filled mine with Raspberry Jam and Orange Marmalade but you could use whatever preserve you like.
I think Lemon curd or Nutella are a great alternative. What would you fill yours with?
THUMBPRINT CHRISTMAS COOKIES
How to make Thumbprint Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Oven Temperature: 180C / 350F
- 110g /1 stick / 1/2 a cup of Unsalted Butter
- 100g / 3.5 oz / 1/4 of a cup of Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- A Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 125g / 1 cup of All Purpose Flour
- Hazelnuts, chopped to coat
- Jam, to fill
Makes 12 Cookies
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk, salt and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Then add the flour and mix until you have a soft smooth cookie dough.
- Take a tablespoon of the dough and roll into 1 inch balls and then roll each ball in the hazelnuts to coat them completely.
Place the ball onto a cookie sheet and using your thumb press gently to create a cavity for the Jam.
Repeat steps 3-5 until you have formed all the cookies.
Place a teaspoon of jam into the centre of each cookie.
Place in the fridge for 10 minutes just to chill a little. This helps the cookie to keep its shape.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown.Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool. Remember the jam will be scalding hot so be careful.
Once cooled dust with powdered sugar and your cookies are ready to be enjoyed.