HOW TO MAKE TORTILLA CHIPS with Masa Flour using Homemade Mexican Masa Tortillas and store bought Flour Tortillas
How to make Tortilla Chips
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 3-5 minutes
- 1 cup of Masa Flour
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Salt
- 2/3 of a cup of Water
- Oil for Frying
- Salt and Smoked Paprika for Seasonings
If you are in Australia, check out El Cielo for all your Mexican Ingredients.
You can buy the Puri Press Here
Or a Tortilla Press Here
Watch the full Video Tutorial
- In a bowl add the Masa Flour and the salt and then pour in the water. Use a fork to start to combine the mixture and then form into a dough using your hands. Cover the dough with a damp tea towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes to let the flour ‘bloom’. Divide the dough into small balls and using a tortilla press, stamp out your flour tortillas.
- Cook in a cast iron pan or skillet or comal, turning 4 times in total. Place the cooked tortilla onto a plate and continue to cook and stack the breads until they are all cooked.
- Cut the tortillas into 4 or 6 (depending on the size chips you want) and drop into hot oil (160-170C / 320-340F) and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crispy and most of the bubbles in the oil have ceased. Place onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain.
- Make a seasoning for your chips by mixing your spices or herbs with salt and grinding to a powder so it sticks to the chips so much better. Serve with a tasty dip and enjoy 😋